Read more about the history of our 180-year-old Manor House here!
During its history, the Kainuu region has claimed only one true manor house in its area. This rare building has endured time well and celebrates its 180 birthday in 2016.
To begin with, the spot of the present manor house was occupied by a croft named Joutava belonging to the Tuovila farm. In 1835 the judicial district judge of Kajaani Fredrik Calamnius bought the land. In 1836, at the age of 48, Calamnius married 24-year-old Karolina Kristina Stenroth. The same year, he built a very roomy house with several bedrooms and parlours before to start the construction of the main building, which included seven bedrooms, a kitchen, an entrance hall, a cloakroom, a wine cellar and, of course, a large parlour. He named the manor house Karolineburg after his wife, Karolina.
After Calamnius’ untimely passing in 1840, the manor house changed owner several times until the turning point of the 1980s and the 1990s, when Karolineburg was transformed into a manor house hotel. Today, Karolineburg can be described as a beautiful european style family hotel, offering accommodation for 50 guests and restaurant facilities for 100 people. Together these two assets form the perfect solution for all kinds of events and meetings.